What is maven ?
A maven is an automation tool that is used for designing java projects. Maven is developed by the Apache software foundation. Maven can also manage and build projects in c#, ruby, scala, etc. Maven has the following objectives,
- It makes the build process of projects easy
- Try to provide a uniform development platform
- Provides quality information on the project
- Encourages better development projects
Intellij IDE already has internal support for Maven. Some features of Intellij IDE are as follows,
- We can run Maven goals using IntelliJ IDEA
- We can update Maven dependencies in Intellij IDE
- We can launch Maven builds in Intellij IDE
- Intellij can manage the dependencies automatically based on pom.xml
- Intellij can resolve Maven dependencies without installing them in the local workspace.
- Intellij automatically downloads the dependencies from the Maven repo.
- Intellij provides wizards while creating a new project.
Advantages of Maven
- The easy setup process follows best practices.
- Consistency in usage in project
- Able to work on different projects at a time
- Instantly access new features with some small configurations
- Dependency management included
- Maven can add all required dependencies automatically by reading the pom.xml file.
- Anyone can easily do a project in a jar, war, etc., formats as per its requirement.
Disadvantages of Maven
- Maven needs installation in the system to work and Maven plugin also for the IDE
- If the code for Maven dependencies is not available, we can’t add the dependency.